Ferreira do Alentejo
The origins of human occupation in the territory of Ferreira do Alentejo municipality date back to the late Neolithic and the villa was donated in 1233 to the Santiago of the Sword Order.

Do not miss the Church of Misericórdia that displays an important Manueline Portal and its beautiful Mannerist altarpiece that today is kept in the Municipal Museum.

Near the Square Comendador Infante Passanha, may be seen the Matriz Church that evokes the Order of Santiago de Espada and where we can admire two Gothic tombs.

Worth knowing is still the Art Gallery, Santo António Chapel and the Craftsman Area.

At the north end of the street Capitão Mouzinho, may be seen the sui generis Calvário Chapel studded with enigmatic stones of a black tone.

A little further down, in the Church of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, we can admire the historical image that accompanied Vasco da Gama in the discovery of the sea route to India.

At about 2 km from the county seat, stands the Roman Villa of Monte Chaminé with occupation dating back to the first century BC.


herancasdoalentejo@gmail.com • +351 934 626 740
Parque Industrial e Tecnológico de Évora (NERE), Rua Circular Norte s/n, 7005-841 Évora, Portugal
© 2014 Heranças Do Alentejo • Terms and Privacy